Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review- The Woman In Black




At the Theater - The Woman In Black - Daniel Radcliffe is the only real problem I had with this otherwise surprisingly effective little ghost story. He's merely serviceable in his first post-Potter franchise role- the whole time I was watching him onscreen, I kept feeling that he was slightly miscast. He's still a bit too youngish in a role that would have been perfect for someone like Jude Law. That said, the movie is atmospheric, creepy and legitimately scary on a few occasions.

It's very cool to see the new Hammer Films logo displayed before the film- this particular Horror entry actually has brief moments that reminded me of some of Hammer's greats of yesteryear. There's very little CGI to speak of, something I greatly appreciated- that said, this movie is relatively bloodless, which is something Hammer definitely wasn't known for.

Ciaran Hinds has a significant role, though I wish he'd been utilized a bit more throughout. He's the only other actor in this film that I recognized. Keep a lookout for a certain actor (portraying a none-too-welcoming villager) with one of the most fake-looking natural faces you'll ever see. You'll know it when you see it.

I guess I better warn parents and those shiny happy people out there- several children perish onscreen and the ending is a bit of a downer. The film reminded me of The Others but not quite as good. I'd say it ties with Stir Of Echoes.

Recommended

7.5 outta 10

No comments:

Post a Comment