Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review - Pitch Perfect (2012)



On DVD and Blu Ray - "Pitch Perfect" - Started out a little cold and familiar but grew on me until I realized I had a perpetual grin for the majority of it's run-time. Anna Kendrick is great while Rebel Wilson steals the show in what I'd describe as a whimsical, "School Of Rock" meets "Easy A" tale of misfit girls teaming up in the competitive world of collegiate a capella singoffs (is there really such a thing?). I remember when I first saw this film's poster I pre-judged the actual film (sight-unseen) as nothing more than a cheap, college-set "Bridesmaids" ripoff- that was short-sighted and inaccurate and I'm glad a couple of persistent friends talked me into giving it a chance.


The affair moves at a rapid pace and is highlighted by quality, quick-witted dialogue and the undeniable chemistry of it's cast.  In all my years of watching films, I have never observed a character making a snow angel in a pool of vomit until now- I guess that counts for something in the realm of cinematic originality. Furthermore, it's always nice to to be treated to an unexpected appearance by the lovely Elizabeth BanksPitch Perfect was a fun, well-meaning diversion that even prompted a purchase on Blu Ray- those who enjoyed it might be happy to know that it's sequel arrives sometime in 2015. Now off to watch "Predator", "Die Hard" and "Lethal Weapon" to reclaim what's left of my manhood...

8.0 out of 10

Director: Jason Moore
Starring: Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Skylar Astin, Ben Platt, Anna Camp, Alexis Knapp, Ester Dean, Hana Mae Lee, Adam Devine, John Michael Higgins, Elizabeth Banks and John Benjamin Hickey
Run-Time: 112
MPAA: Rated PG-13 for sexual material, language and drug references

No comments:

Post a Comment